[tex-live] new babel in TL

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue May 7 11:24:09 CEST 2013

2013/5/7 Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> thank you very much for this import.
>
> A few points that I would like to mention:
>
> - I suggest to put serbian and serbianc into the same babel package if
> possible (both is Serbian, but one is in cyrillic script)
>
> - I know that you mentioned it, but I would still suggest to review if
> names match between babel-lang and hyph-lang. Just as an example,
> there is hyph-slovenian and babel-slovene. (I have deliberately chosen
> "slovenian" for hyph and even the document "babel-slovene/slovene.pdf"
> says "The Slovenian language". The name "slovene" as filename probably
> remained just for "compatibility" reasons.) Other examples are
> babel-portuges, norsk, ...
>
> - In the same spirit: there are some languages like "babel-frenchb" or
> "ukraineb" just because there is "frenchb.ldf". However, there is
> "germanb.ldf" and still "babel-german" and not "babel-germanb". My
> suggestion would be to call the package "babel-french",
> "babel-ukrainian" and not "babel-frenchb". If ever four other packages
> for French pop up, they can all go to babel-french, no matter how they
> will be called. The list is not extensive, I just listed the first few
> languages that I noticed.
>
> - I miss at least Lithuanian
> (http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/language/lithuanian/tex/generic/babel/)
> and a few other languages. Here's a list of some ldf files in TeX Live
> that aren't in babel-language (buy probably not all of them make
> sense):
>
> tex/generic/thailatex/thai.ldf
> tex/generic/velthuis/hindi.ldf

hindi.ldf makes sense. If used in XeTeX, it just loads the caption
names (\chaptername, \figurename etc) in UTF-8, othervise it makes use
of the Velthuis Devanagari package. Hyphenation can be enabled in
XeTeX but not in the Velthuis package, in this case the @hyphen
preprocessor directive can be used. It is my fault that I forgot to
inform Javier Bezos.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/