[tex-live] install-tl inserts 2013/.. in TEXMFLOCAL

Wybo Dekker wybo at dekkerdocumenten.nl
Sun Jun 2 23:12:54 CEST 2013

On 2013-06-01 17:35, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> Hmmm... I don't understand... why would you want TEXMFLOCAL to
> reside inside .../2013/? Then you would have to rebuild it with each
> year's release; multiple copies of local fonts, packages, etc.

You, too, are a victim of the unclarity I was trying to have removed:

I have:
$ ls /usr/local/texlive
2012  2013  texmf-local

So I can work with either texlive-2012 or with texlive-2013.
Both were installed with install-tl, keeping defaults, just typing i
(install).
The choice is made by a PATH change, so that PATH points to either
/usr/local/texlive/2012/bin or /usr/local/texlive/2013/bin

When I work with texlive-2012, kpsewhich says:
$ kpsewhich -expand-var \$TEXMFLOCAL
/usr/local/texlive/2012/../texmf-local

When I work with texlive-2013, kpsewhich says:
$ kpsewhich -expand-var \$TEXMFLOCAL
/usr/local/texlive/2013/../texmf-local

So both point, in the end, to /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local.
Therefore, I would like to see, in both cases:
$ kpsewhich -expand-var \$TEXMFLOCAL
/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local

This is not only more clear, but it makes it also possible to make links
using $(kpsewhich -expand-var \$TEXMFLOCAL) that will not become broken
when the original texlive version is removed.
--
Wybo Dekker