[tex-live] Errors messages installing/updating TL2013

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sat Jul 13 14:10:35 CEST 2013

Hi guys,

many emails, with a lot of mixture up...

On Do, 11 Jul 2013, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> TLDownload::get_file: response error: 500 Can't use an undefined value
> as a symbol reference

Ok, that is a bug in our code, in paticular in TLDownload::get_file,
there we have
  my $response = $self->{'ua'}->get($url, ':content_file' => $realout);
  if ($response->is_success) {
    ... do something
  } else {
    tlwarn("TLDownload::get_file: response error: "
            . $response->status_line . " (for $url)\n");

So *this* error message is not a problem, it simply is that our
	tlwarn
references something that is not set. Probably I mis-read the specification
on LWP, but nothing to worry about.

THese things can happen, network errors, and after that wget kicked in,
all fine:

On Do, 11 Jul 2013, Karl Berry wrote:
> Thanks for the report.  (Regardless of the real problem, the error
> message shouldn't just be talking about undefined values.  We'll see
> about improving that.)

Agreed here , I will try to fix it ...

On Fr, 12 Jul 2013, George N. White III wrote:
> I just got a similar error from MacTeX 2013basic on Snow Leopard, using a
> nearby mirror:

This is a *VERY* different error:

> TLDownload::get_file: response error: 500 Can't locate object method
> "can_read" via package "LWP::Protocol::http::Socket" (for

This means that the installation of LWP is messed up, something
that on MacTeX we cannot influence.

We = tlmgr = TLDownload::get_file makes a call to
	my $ua = LWP::UserAgent->new
followed by
	$self->{'ua'}->get...
which break in LWP ... we do *not* call
	can_read
directly.

So this indicates an error of LWP installation on your system.

But fortunately, wget is used to retry with success:

> TLUtils::download_file: retrying with wget.
> TLUtils::download_file: retry with wget succeeded:

(good that I implemented this fallback mechansim ..)

On Sa, 13 Jul 2013, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> They seem of the same nature to me:
>
>   TLDownload::get_file: response error: 500 Can't use...
>
>   TLDownload::get_file: response error: 500 Can't locate...

No, they are not, they only look similar because the part up
to the 500 is the same, but the reason is coming after this.

Bottom line:
* we have to fix the code, but thisis not urgent, since it is only
  a warning message rom our side
* LWP on MacTeX on GWIII's computer seems broken, nothing we can do.

Norbert