[tex-live] texmf-dist -> texmf for TL'13

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Jan 25 22:10:26 CET 2013

On 2013-01-25 at 19:44:23 +0900, Munehiro Yamamoto wrote:

 > Dear Karl Berry,
 >
 > This is my first post for [tex-live] ML.
 >
 > I'm a core member of Vine Linux http://vinelinux.org/, in a supreme
 > Linux distribution with integrated Japanese environment, making
 > Vine Linux provide the most enriched built-in Japanese TeX
 > environment.  Recently, I also contribute Darwin binaries for
 > tlptexlive
 > http://tutimura.ath.cx/ptexlive/?tlptexlive%A5%EA%A5%DD%A5%B8%A5%C8%A5%EA
 > , which is maintained by Norbert-san.  So, I am so much interested
 > in this topic :-)
 >
 > 2013/1/25 Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org>:
 > > For TL 2013, we have been contemplating merging texmf-dist back
 > > into texmf, so there would once again be a single tree.
 > >
 > > The original idea of texmf-dist was to be the "TeX tree" sharable
 > > among (TeX, not operating system) distributions, while texmf
 > > would be the binaries and other distribution-specific files.
 >
 > That is a great idea.  If this idea is comitted, we simply can
 > package/provide TeX Live environment as distro. packages.

Hi Munehiro,
I doubt that you can do anything which couldn't done in the past.
Only the texmf and texmf-dist trees will be merged.  This is a rather
cosmetical change unless a TeX distributor really depends on a
separate texmf-dist tree.

 > Indeed, I think if we distribute enough TeX Live environment as
 > distro. packages,
 > we need the following stages:
 >  * distribution wide from the main tree of TeX Live and distro.'s
 >    customizations
 >  * system wide from the local tree of system maintenance
 >  * per user from home user's tree,
 > where per user settings override system wide settings,
 > and system wide settings override distribution wide settings.

If you have TEXMFLOCAL and TEXMFHOME in mind, there are no plans to
change anything.  Files are searched in TEXMFHOME first, then in
TEXMFLOCAL, and finally in the distribution tree.

However, if you are talking about *settings*, there is a texmf.cnf
file at the root of the TeX Live tree which can be used by system
administrators in order to override settings inherited from the
distribution.  But there is no such file for users.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25