[tex-live] So far.....expensive failure

Nicolas Richard theonewiththeevillook at yahoo.fr
Thu Feb 14 10:44:33 CET 2013

Denis Bitouzé <dbitouze at wanadoo.fr> writes:
> When the French TUG provides me the TL DVD (free of charge: many thanks
> to him!), I procure it but I still provide the ISO file for students who
> own a Netbook without any DVD drive.

I think the workflow is ok, and is an acceptable (encouraged ?) usecase
for the DVD image (download once, use many times).

As previously mentionned, you could also make the tl tree locally
available [See http://tug.org/texlive/acquire-mirror.html]. It avoids
the big traffic to the Internet, and impacts few local users. The only
requirements, IIUC, is to have your students (i) use a (possibly
dedicated) local network, and (ii) use your local repository during the
installation (then revert to an official CTAN mirror so that they can
still update afterwards).

--
Nico.