[tex-live] PDF/A-1b compliancy with (pdf,lua)TeX

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Dec 29 03:10:30 CET 2013

On 2013-12-28 at 07:57:53 -0500, Victor Ivrii wrote:

 > It does not look that pdfx supports these newer standards. Neither
 > there are any alternatives

In order to use these newer standards you have to maintain a modified
variant of pdfx.sty.  What I find extremely annoying is that the
related ISO standards are not freely available.  You have to pay an
enourmous amount of money for only a few sheets of paper.

  http://www.iso.org/iso/catalogue_detail?csnumber=38920

Victor, what do you get if you send your file to

  http://www.pdf-tools.com/pdf/validate-pdfa-online.aspx

? It's a matter of fact that different validators complain about
different things.  If your file contains colored vector graphics then
it's quite likely that you get a complaint.  Vector graphics use
Device_CMYK, Device_RGB, and/or Device_Gray but the PDF/A standard
insists on device independent colors.

As far as I understand the pdfx package only provides an output
profile which transforms device indepent colors to something else but
colors in the PDF file are not device-independent.  Ghostscript can
create PDF/A as well and it creates "input profiles" for the color
models CMYK, RGB, and Gray.  I'll create a Ghostscript test suite
tomorrow.

After all, I'm not convinced that what the pdfx package does is
enough, but I'm very interested in comments from people who are more
experienced than me.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25