[tex-live] Sanity-check comicsans directory structure

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Dec 18 15:18:48 CET 2013

Bob Tennent <rdt at cs.queensu.ca> wrote:

> Scott:  Two other issues came up in the comp.text.tex discussion.
>
> I suggest you ask for the package to be moved under fonts rather
> than latex/contrib. The fonts directory is for "fonts written in
> Metafont and support for using fonts from other sources".

that is to say (if it says anything at all), the font tree's
description is out of date, and should be corrected.  it would be mad
to declare we can't put type1/ttf/otf in there, as we have been for
quite some time

> Ensure that the dtx can be processed using currently available
> encoding files.

there's a continual tension (in my mind, at least) between what should
go to the fonts tree and what to m/l/c (or whatever).  most of the time,
we don't have time to consider these philosophical issues, which means
the issues linger (and sometimes fester).

there's a disincentive to clearing up these issues, since solving them
involves a *lot* of archive work.  :-(

robin