[tex-live] enquiry regarding Ukrainian "i"

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Dec 2 18:29:12 CET 2013

Semen Trygubenko / §³§Ö§Þ§Ö§ß §´§â§Ú§Ô§å§Ò§Ö§ß§Ü§à <semen at trygub.com> wrote:

> I'm having the following problem with inputenc package:
> Ukrainian letter "i" is substituted with Latin "i" during compilation.
> Letters look identical so it is not a problem for displaying text, but
> it makes it hard to search inside the generated pdf using conventional
> means.

the inputenc mechanism provides glyphs to represent the incoming
character stream.  given that the t2a fonts don't have an "i" in the
cyrillic half of their glyph table, they use the "i" in the latin
half of the table.

(my guess is that the cmap package doesn't help here, but i can't
convince myself...)

if i am right, you need to go with xetex or luatex, and a font that
covers cyrillic as unicode to get the "correct" output.

robin