[tex-live] Latex generates ugly dvi fonts with evince.

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Fri Aug 30 15:31:18 CEST 2013

This is wellknown because evince does not know about the TeX fonts. Use Xdvi instead (it comes with TL).

(1) is there any reason why you are previewing in DVI instead of PDF?

I also used to use the dvi route because then I could use source specials so I can use forward and backward search.

Nowadays modern Evince versions know about synctex and I simply use that with pdflatex and PDF output.

I do not see any reason to use DVI as a preview format anymore.

/Lars Madsen
Institut for Matematik / Department of Mathematics
Aarhus Universitet / Aarhus University