[tex-live] bug in updmap-sys (2013 pretest)?

Artemio González López artemiog at mac.com
Mon Apr 29 11:39:42 CEST 2013

On Apr 29, 2013, at 1:35 AM, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:

> Hi Artemio,
>
>            pigpen.map (in /usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/web2c/updmap.cfg)
>
> Did you manually rm that package or something?  I don't see why it
> should be missing, in general.
>
>    Use of uninitialized value in subroutine entry at /usr/local/texlive/current/bin/x86_64-darwin/updmap line 1429, <STDIN> line 1.
>    Can't use string ("") as a subroutine ref while "strict refs" in use at /usr/local/texlive/current/bin/x86_64-darwin/updmap line 1429, <STDIN> line 1.
>
>    Is this a bug in updmap-sys?
>
> Yes, clearly a bug (not happy with this code), our scripts should never
> abort with Perl/Lua/whatever errors, just like C programs should never
> seg fault.
>
> I made a change that seems like it should fix it, but I didn't try to
> reproduce, so ... can you please try after the next update?
>
> Thanks,
> Karl

Dear Karl,

Thank you very much for your help. As to the pigpen.map file, I did not remove it by hand. To be more precise, I installed the pretest using the unix installer from April 26 downloaded at ftp.cstug.cz. The installation proceeded without problems, but I got the error I mentioned in my post when I first updated the installation through "tlmgr update all" (with the same repository in the --repository option). Later on I checked and I found that, although the pigpen.map file was missing, the package pigpen was listed as installed. I reinstalled this package, and the pigpen.map file appeared. I must also say that I installed the pretest with the April 28 unix installer in another computer, and I didn't have any problems whatsoever with pigpen.

Thanks again,

Artemio

Artemio Gonzalez Lopez
artemiog at icloud.com