[tex-live] MacTeX -- xpdf

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Apr 23 00:56:39 CEST 2013

Hi,
a friend of mine installed MacTeX (TL-2012) recently.  Everything
works like a charm.  However, I wrote a script for him (on Linux)
which depends on pdftops (part of xpdf).  It turned out that this
program didn't exist on his system.

Aren't the xpdf support programs part of MacTeX or is his installation
incomplete?

I don't think that xpdf itself is needed because TeXShop and TeXworks
are excellent previewers, but the accompanying commandline tools
like pdftops, pdffonts, pdfinfo, pdfimages... are extremely useful.
Not to mention that they are extremely reliable.

BTW, Akira provides the xpdf commandline tools for W32TeX and TeX Live
on Windows already, hence I assume that there is a way to compile
xpdf --without-xpdf  :)

Unless my friend's installation is incomplete, Dick, what do you
think?

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25