[tex-live] bibtex and explicit bib-extension

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Fri Apr 19 11:35:35 CEST 2013

Hi Ulrike,

this is a property of the TeX Live (Kpathsea) file search mechanism used for
(almost) all programs.  When searching for a .bib (or .tex) file that
extension is added if only if not already present.  This is intentional and
not likely to change (certainly not for TeX Live 2013).  I agree, however,
that the different behaviour of TeX Live and MikTeX is unfortunate.

The problem in bibtex is that the "Database file #..." message appends a
second .bib to the name.  I am sure that will be corrected although perhaps
not for TL13.

Regards
Peter Breitenlohner <peb at mppmu.mpg.de>