[tex-live] getnonfreefonts doesn't work with pretest

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Apr 17 00:08:33 CEST 2013

On 2013-04-16 at 09:11:46 +0200, Rolf Niepraschk wrote:

 > I installed TL2013 pretest successful. Then
 >
 >   # wget http://tug.org/fonts/getnonfreefonts/install-getnonfreefonts
 >   # texlua install-getnonfreefonts
 >   Detected System: i386-linux
 >   Your TeX System seems to be broken.  Can't continue.
 >
 > My variables:
 >
 >   # kpsexpand '$TEXMFLOCAL'
 >   /usr/local/share/texmf
 >
 >   # kpsexpand '$TEXMFROOT'
 >   /usr/local/texlive/2013
 >
 > Reinhard, what's wrong?

Hi Rolf,
Markus gratefully explained what went wrong and this saved me a lot of
time.

I've uploaded a new version of the installer to

  http://tug.org/fonts/getnonfreefonts

I also took the opportunity to update getnonfreefonts itself.  It now
loads the getfont script by HTTP always.  This avoids problems with
FTP servers if the number of users who can be logged at the same time
is exceeded.  It has no impact on the usage of getnonfreefonts itself.
It just makes it a bit more reliable.

However, the semantics of the --http option is the same as before.
"getnonfreefonts --all" installs all fonts available.  If you are
behind a firewall which blocks FTP, with the --http option
getnonfreefonts will only download files from HTTP servers.
Fortunately the only font which needs FTP access is the Adobe Euro
font, all others are on CTAN.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25