[tex-live] removal of a package from texlive

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Apr 2 22:18:02 CEST 2013

Martin Schröder <martin at oneiros.de> wrote:

> 2013/4/2 Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at>:
> > And if you stop developping this package, then also the author-maintained
> > status of LPPL is gone, and someone else can take over the same package
> > under the same name.
>
> Careful. While I'm not an LPPL-guru (Robin?),

not i, if it's me you mean.  when i had to (i was the first delegated to
push it as "debian free"), i wrote a cheat sheet, but that's gone --
never really committed the whole thing to long-term memory.

> I see no path in the
> current LPPL from "author-maintained" to "unmaintained", only from
> "maintained" to "unmaintained". "author-maintained" is a dead-end.
>
> Of course everybody is free under the LPPL to _fork_ any
> LPPL-copyrighted work under a _different_ name.

yeah.  and there are still people who don't get that provision, and
solemnly write themselves a licence that includes it and end up making
their package non-free.  happened recently...