[tex-live] Possibility to enhance registers

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Sep 24 20:21:23 CEST 2012

bernhard <bernhard.kleine at gmx.net> wrote:

> in the final stage of my book I encounter a crazy error:
>
> [213])) [214]
> \openout2 = `Kap8/kap08_Rezeptoren.aux'.
>
> (./Kap8/kap08_Rezeptoren.tex Kapitel 8.
> \openout3 = `DritteDeutscheEdition.mtc'.
> \openout3 = `DritteDeutscheEdition.mtc'.
> ! You can't use `\unpenalty' in vertical mode.
> \mtc at BBR ->\unpenalty
>                       \nopagebreak [4]
> \sv at minitoc@ ...\leavevmode \mtc at zrule \\\mtc at BBR
> \leftmargin \mtcindent \ri...
> \minitoc@ ...ndottedtoclinep \fi \sv at minitoc@ [#1] }
> <to be read again> \bigskip
> l.5 \minitoc\bigskip
>
> Sorry...I usually can't take things from the current page.
> Perhaps you can make the output routine do it.
>
> (./DritteDeutscheEdition.mtc8)

this isn't particularly weird; a pity that minitoc isn't maintained any
more, though.

> It is not the code in the file which raises this error since I can using
> excludeonly exclude entire chapters and the error appears again. I
> have :
>         {\centering
>         \setcounter{minitocdepth}{2}
>         \minitoc\bigskip
>         }
> at the beginning of any chapter.
>
> To remedy this situation I have in the texlive-directory (here
> at /usr/local/texlive/texlive2011) the file texmf.cnf which has
> drastically enhanced register values for tex-variables, however to no
> avail.
>
> My question is: Where can I increase texmf-registers to have all the 420
> pages of my book compiled without this annoying error which crept in
> earlier this year.

it doesn't sound like an error related to shortage of registers.

> And I donot think this is OT since it deals with configuring tex in
> texlive.

doesn't sound like that.  even if your idea of numbers of registers is
correct (check it by loading etex.sty immediately after \documentclass
line(s), which will give you all the registers tex can offer), it's not
a config value.

(actually finding what the problem is, isn't necessarily going to be
easy with the info you've given.)