[tex-live] TexLive version of CWEB can't handle strings >1024 characters

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Sep 4 00:12:23 CEST 2012

Hi Arthur,

> CWEAVE 3.64 (TeX Live 2009/Debian)

First of all to make a few things clear:
- this is a list for the development of TeX Live
- TeX Live 2012 has been released a few months ago from TUG
- your question is Debian/Ubuntu specific and should be asked
  at the appropriate places, which is not here, but some
  Ubuntu support channel

Now for the details:

On Mon, 03 Sep 2012, Arthur O'Dwyer wrote:
> version of /usr/bin/cweave installed on my Ubuntu system (Ubuntu
> 11.10) seems to have been compiled with "longest_name" set to 1024.

Yes, because this release of TeX Live for Debian is based on TeX Live 2009.

The next version of TeX Live for Debian is already in Debian sid and
testing and will be included in the soon to be released Debian stable.
In Ubuntu it is included in the current dev branch and will be in the 12.10
release.

There is nothing else we can do now.

You could think about installing the TeX Live 2012 backport for Ubuntu
(please search yourself), or even better, just install the normal
upstream TeX Live as provided from tug.org.

Best wishes

Norbert
also responsible for TeX Live on Debian

Norbert Preining                preining@{jaist.ac.jp, logic.at, debian.org}
JAIST, Japan                                   TeX Live and Debian Developer
gpg DSA: 0x09C5B094   fp: 14DF 2E6C 0307 BE6D AD76  A9C0 D2BF 4AA3 09C5 B094