[tex-live] a question about when gets the TL database refreshed in mirrors

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Sat Oct 6 19:21:20 CEST 2012

Le 6 oct. 2012 à 19:11, jfbu <jfbu at free.fr> a écrit :

> [...]
>> explains why updates are coming slower. (But you can expect a bunch of updates
>> tomorrow or the day after.)
>>
>> However, three packages where added/updated recently: ocgx, media9 and abraces.
>> You may want to check if abraces is present in your installation (using 'tlmgr
>> info abraces' for example): if it is, your installation is up-to-date.
>> Otherwise, there may indeed be a problem on your side, since the package is
>> present at the oleane mirror and should be auto-installed (assuming
>> collection-latexextra is installed).
>>
>> hth,
>> Manuel.
>>
>> PS: your initial message looks like an example of the XYZ syndrom: you notice a
>> problem X (no update), think of a possible explanation Y (texlive.tlpdb not in
>> sync with actual packages on mirror) and than ask about Y, while the real
>> explanation is Z (maybe there aren't any updates). Please try to ask about X
>> first, next time :)
>

> Manuel:
>
> Index de ftp://ftp.oleane.net/pub/CTAN/fonts/mathdesign/
>
> Vers un rép. de plus haut niveau
>
> Nom	Taille	Dernière modification
> afm		05/10/12	11:49:00
> config		05/10/12	11:49:00
> doc		05/10/12	11:49:00
> enc		05/10/12	11:49:00
> latex		05/10/12	11:49:00
> map		05/10/12	11:49:00
> mathdesign-doc.pdf		06/10/12	00:00:00
> MD-Adobe-Adobe-Garamond-Pro-example.pdf	598 KB	05/10/12	09:59:00
> MD-Adobe-Utopia-example.pdf	238 KB	05/10/12	09:59:00
> MD-Adobe-Utopia-Std-example.pdf	465 KB	05/10/12	09:59:00
> MD-Bitstream-Bitstream-Charter-example.pdf	231 KB	05/10/12	09:59:00
> MD-itc-Charter-ITC-Std-example.pdf	370 KB	05/10/12	09:59:00
> MD-urw-GaramondNo8-example.pdf	255 KB	05/10/12	09:59:00
> opentype		05/10/12	11:49:00
> tfm		05/10/12	11:49:00
> type1		05/10/12	11:49:00
> vf		05/10/12	11:49:00
>
> Definitely my version of mathdesign on my system is older
>

> texdoc --list mathdesign-doc.pdf
> 1 /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/doc/latex/mathdesign/mathdesign-doc.pdf
>   = Package documentation
> 2 /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/doc/fonts/mathdesign/mathdesign-doc.pdf
>   = Package documentation
> Please enter the number of the file to view, anything else to skip: 1
>
> and then from the pdf I see it dates back to 2006
>
> The mathdesign package Paul Pichaureau
>
> January 29, 2006
>
> The file on
>
> ftp://ftp.oleane.net/pub/CTAN/fonts/mathdesign/mathdesign-doc.pdf
>
> has title
>
> The mathdesign package
> Paul Pichaureau
>
> October 5, 2012
>

> Allright and I repeat that despite this I get
>
> xxx$ tlmgr --repository=ftp://ftp.oleane.net/pub/CTAN/systems/texlive/tlnet update -all
> tlmgr: package repository ftp://ftp.oleane.net/pub/CTAN/systems/texlive/tlnet
> tlmgr: saving backups to /usr/local/texlive/2012/tlpkg/backups

Here is another example

xxx$ tlmgr --repository=ftp://ftp.oleane.net/pub/CTAN/systems/texlive/tlnet info loops
tlmgr: package repository ftp://ftp.oleane.net/pub/CTAN/systems/texlive/tlnet
tlmgr: cannot find package loops

on the other hand if I go to ftp.oleane.net I see that loops is there

Index de ftp://ftp.oleane.net/pub/CTAN/macros/latex/contrib/loops/

Vers un rép. de plus haut niveau

Nom	Taille	Dernière modification
loops.sty	36 KB	29/09/12	22:30:00
README	15 KB	29/09/12	20:24:00

So this brings me back to my initial question:

when should I expect the information on new or updated packages to be relayed by tlmgr?

regards

Jean-Francois