[tex-live] Libertinotf and libertine-type1 file name overlap and other oddities

Dan Luecking dluecking at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 1 20:37:42 CEST 2012

Since the introduction of libertine-type1 there is a new
directory:
   texmf-dist/fonts/otf/
containing nine OpenType fonts in subdirs public/libertine-type1/ and
public/biolinum-type1. The fonts have file names that match ones in
   texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/libertineotf/
The former are more recent versions of the latter. I have a few
questions:

1. Why is a new directory created? Is it so that xetex/luatex will
    not use these fonts?

2. Could xetex/luatex actually find the former set? Would that be
    good or bad?

3. Is there enough compatability between them that the newer
    versions can just replace the older ones?

Other oddities:
We now have three libertines, one actually being named "libertine",
but
   texdoc libertine
produces the libertineotf documentation. Shouldn't libertine.pdf be
renamed libertinotf.pdf? This causes "texdoc libertine" to prefer
doc/latex/libertine/README.

The file README-TeX.txt in doc/fonts/libertine-type1/ refers one
   http://linuxlibertine.sourceforge.net/latex/
where exists a file named libertinedokulatex.pdf that appears
to document libertine-legacy. Certainly not linertine-type1.

Perhaps all problems will go away when/if the packages are merged.

Best,
Dan

Daniel H. Luecking
Department of Mathematical Sciences