[tex-live] TeX Live 2012 fonts instalation

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sun Nov 4 23:45:43 CET 2012

Hi,

On So, 04 Nov 2012, tkadlec at math.feld.cvut.cz wrote:
> there seems to be a problem with texhash during instalation of new fonts
> to TeX Live 2012 (Windows). It happened several times that the file
> 2012/texmf-dist/web2c/updmap.cfg was deleted (with terrible consequences).

First of all, it is with 99.999999% *NOT* texhash=mktexlsr.

Second, the file 2012/texmf-dist/web2c/updmap.cfg is not deleted, it
is recreated by tlmgr when it installs new packages.
You should *NOT* do any local modifications there, they will get lost!
THe header of the file states:
	# In any case, manual edits to TL's updmap.cfg files, psfonts.map,
	# pdftex.map, etc., will be lost on update.  So don't do that.

So please don't state wrong information and incorrect statements.

>   2012/tex-dist/fonts/map/dvips/cmgr/cmvgr.map
> (tex-dist-updmap.cfg was a copy of updmap.cfg sent me by another user
> after the previous lost, cmvgr was my font I tried to install). Everything
> looks fine. I moved cmvgr to a more suitable directory
>   texmf-local/fonts/map/dvips/local

THat is the right locations.

After that you should edit/create
	texmf-local/web2c/updmap.cfg
and add a line
	Map cmvgr.map
then run
	mktexlsr (or texhash)
followed by
	updmap-sys

> This propably will not happen if I used the proper directory for the .map

No connection at all to the location of th .map file

> file at the start, but first I tried texmf-local/dvips/local what was not
> functional, then the "nonlocal directory" and only then I realized what
> the proper local directory might be. It might help also other users to
> mention this directory at http://www.tug.org/fonts/fontinstall.html

You can use *any* directory where map files are searched for, that is
	kpsewhich -show-path .map

Best wishes

Norbert