[tex-live] Report of pretest intallation in Windows XP and 7.

Dan Luecking luecking at uark.edu
Fri May 25 19:50:02 CEST 2012

On Thu May 24 2012 at 21:48:17 CEST, Siep Kroonenberg wrote:

>On vista/w7, you have to explicitly ask for admin privileges even if
>you are an admin user. The question was not asked because the
>installer did not have the required privileges.
>
>We could warn about limited privileges, but in most cases it would
>just make things more complicated for the user for no good reason.

How about this:
Change the wording to
   Installation for all users (requires administrative privileges).
Then don't show the [Toggle] button when such priveleges are not
available. It might help that this lets the user know it it possible.

It is common for me, when I install a program that
requires such privileges, for the program to go ahead
and try. Then Win7 pops up a window that says
"Allow (name of program) to make changes?". I click "Yes"
and away we go. Consequently I have never needed to use
"Run as..." to get administrative privileges. In fact I only
now learned how to do that from a command line.

Dan

Daniel H. Luecking
Department of Mathematical Sciences
Fayetteville, Arkansas