[tex-live] Sorting out updmap/updmap-sys-troubles

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Thu May 24 00:39:19 CEST 2012

HI Ulrike,

On Mi, 23 Mai 2012, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> I did mention it. See paragraph 2 of my initial question:

Ups, sorry.

> But what I meant is: If the default installation for "normal" users
> is/should be a single user installation why do so much of this
> "normal" users fall in the updmap/updmap-sys confusion? I had in the

Whom do you tell. And it is the same on Unix. I get many many reports
on Debian telling strange things about updmap.

Nowadays updmap writes a proper log file and outputs a bit more
information, so it should be easier to track down.

> I just had a TeXlive user (unknown version) which claimed that
> neither updmap nor updmap --enable Map worked, he had to delete the
> local maps.

That is something I don't believe, period. If he runs
	updmap --enable Map=foobar.map
and maybe to make sure once more
	updmap
then the fonts *will*be*found*. Of course unless he sets some strange
env variable (which unfortunately is happening sometimes!), but there
we cannot do anything.

Thanks for trying to help people with TL without actually using it!

Best wishes

Norbert