[tex-live] Sorting out updmap/updmap-sys-troubles

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed May 23 17:02:40 CEST 2012

2012/5/23 Ulrike Fischer <news3 at nililand.de>:
> Am Wed, 23 May 2012 23:28:08 +0900 schrieb Norbert Preining:
>
>> Hi Ulrike,
>
>>> Well I'm a miktex user. I don't have TeXLive. I can't look myself
>>> ;-). That's why I asked.
>
>> So then mention that please, I don't keep track who is using which
>> system, esp if the question is posted on the TL list ;-)
>
> I did mention it. See paragraph 2 of my initial question:
>
> "I find it difficult (as a Windows and MikTeX user) to
> tell TeXLive users what to do to resolve the problem."
>
>>> If the default installation is as normal user, why do the users have
>>> to bother with updmap-sys at all? On miktex with a single-user
>>> installation in a restricted account you only have to (can) use
>>> updmap.
>
>> If it is a single user installation, no need to care or to make
>> a difference at all.
>
>> But we are catering not only for single user installations ....
>
> Yes I know and this is good.
>
> But what I meant is: If the default installation for "normal" users
> is/should be a single user installation why do so much of this
> "normal" users fall in the updmap/updmap-sys confusion? I had in the
> last days 4 or 5. And they take a lot time to resolve as they seem
> so much variants what is best. On miktex I normally simply tell the
> user to call "updmap" and then they use local maps and it works. But
> I just had a TeXlive user (unknown version) which claimed that
> neither updmap nor updmap --enable Map worked, he had to delete the
> local maps.

updmap without argument will not enable a new map and if --enable Map
does not work, it is useful to see the error message, otherwise the
source of the problem cannot be traced. If you somehow damage your
config files, there is the --sync-with-trees option.

It may be usefule to advertise on some well visible place that there
is also updmap-local.cfg file. I have a lot of commercial fonts and
upgrate from TeX Live n to TeX Live n+1 is very easy due to this file.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/