[tex-live] Sorting out updmap/updmap-sys-troubles

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Wed May 23 16:48:13 CEST 2012

Am Wed, 23 May 2012 23:28:08 +0900 schrieb Norbert Preining:

> Hi Ulrike,

>> Well I'm a miktex user. I don't have TeXLive. I can't look myself
>> ;-). That's why I asked.

> So then mention that please, I don't keep track who is using which
> system, esp if the question is posted on the TL list ;-)

I did mention it. See paragraph 2 of my initial question:

"I find it difficult (as a Windows and MikTeX user) to
tell TeXLive users what to do to resolve the problem."

>> If the default installation is as normal user, why do the users have
>> to bother with updmap-sys at all? On miktex with a single-user
>> installation in a restricted account you only have to (can) use
>> updmap.

> If it is a single user installation, no need to care or to make
> a difference at all.

> But we are catering not only for single user installations ....

Yes I know and this is good.

But what I meant is: If the default installation for "normal" users
is/should be a single user installation why do so much of this
"normal" users fall in the updmap/updmap-sys confusion? I had in the
last days 4 or 5. And they take a lot time to resolve as they seem
so much variants what is best. On miktex I normally simply tell the
user to call "updmap" and then they use local maps and it works. But
I just had a TeXlive user (unknown version) which claimed that
neither updmap nor updmap --enable Map worked, he had to delete the
local maps.

--
Ulrike Fischer