[tex-live] Sorting out updmap/updmap-sys-troubles

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Wed May 23 13:26:07 CEST 2012

Ulrike Fischer wrote, On 2012-05-23 13:08:
> Am Wed, 23 May 2012 12:02:06 +0200 schrieb Zdenek Wagner:
>
>>> But I already found a following question: While reading in the
>>> installation instructions of TeXLive 2011 I found this sentence:
>>>
>>> "You do not need to be root (administrator on Windows) to install,
>>> use, or manage TeX Live. In fact, we recommend installing it as a
>>> normal user,..."
>
>>> If the default installation is as normal user, why do the users have
>>> to bother with updmap-sys at all? On miktex with a single-user
>>> installation in a restricted account you only have to (can) use
>>> updmap.
>
>> I am not a Windows user but I can explain what I do on Linux. I select
>> a normal user (usually me) who will be responsible for TeX Live
>> maintanance. I ask "root" to create /usr/local/texlive and change the
>> ownership so that the TL maintainer has write access.
> [...]
>
> Hm. But to be able "to ask root" you must know an admin password?
> This doesn't sound like an installation "as normal user" to me ;-)

it is just to have a place on the server to install it in.

Zdenek could just as well have chosen a folder in his home directory.

Once the folder has been chosen, and the path is added to the system
PATH, then the rest can be done as a normal user.

On our system I have a dedicated LaTeX user for this, works just fine.

--

/daleif