[tex-live] movie15 and media9

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 19:03:16 CET 2012

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 17:12, Robin Fairbairns wrote:

> myself, i'm worried about hyperref (i don't know enough to be sure
> whether it relies of acrocr*p reader, for some of its many functions)...

Actually, I think that you have hit the heart of the problem.

In my opinion hyperref and ConTeXt are equally "non-free" as movie15
is. Both support JavaScript. So if movie15 doesn't qualify for
free-enough, both hyperref and ConTeXt (and a few other packages) as
well as asymptote have to be removed from TeX Live.

There are not so many users of movie15, ConTeXt or asymptote, but once
you remove hyperref, you can be sure that many people will stop using
TeX Live.

Mojca

PS: I'm sorry for being too harsh, but open source is starting being
more draconian than commercial software.