[tex-live] movie15 and media9

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Mar 18 15:56:35 CET 2012

On 2012-03-18 at 21:34:00 +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:

 > Hi Mojca,
 >
 > >    "rm movie15, requires acrobat"
 >
 > I don't know the details, but if pdfs generated with movie15 can
 > only be properly viewed wirh acro*, then it is according to the
 > policy to remove it.
 >
 > We have removed several times packages that need non-free stuff to
 > be useful, and this policy will not change.
 >

 > > Acrobat is only needed to render the contents,
 >
 > Well, that is reason enough.
 >

 > > No PDF viewer that I'm aware of supports JavaScript. Does that
 > > mean that all TeX packages that also support JavaScript inside
 > > PDF have to be removed from TeX Live?
 >
 > No, you are wrong. Only those packages that only support there
 > features via javascript and thus for acro*.
 >
 > Yes, and those packages will be removed.

The lack of Javascript is actually a deficiency of the free PDF
viewers we currently have, mainly because Derek decided so.  I don't
know much about the current state of the GNU PDF project, but I hope
that there is a chance that we can have a PDF viewer which supports
the PDF standard more completely in the future.

What's the state of tlcontrib?  It still has references to TL2010 and
the last package had been installed in September last year.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25