[tex-live] TeX Live 2011 : "Error in TeXdoc XeTeX"

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk
Fri Mar 16 16:43:57 CET 2012

Norbert Preining wrote:

> When I call texdoc xetex

When, at a non-elevated CMD prompt in Windows 7 32-bit running in
a Windows Virtual PC under Windows 7 64-bit, I type

	TeXdoc XeTeX

followed by <return>

> a document called ????? (you till now

the default document for this incantation in the current update
to TeX Live 2011, which in my system is reported as being

	XeTeX-reference.pdf

> didn't tell us!) was opened in AA7. When clicking in AA7 on (whatever

opens in Adobe Acrobat 7 Professional (having successfully evicted
PS_View with Siep's help).  If I then click on the "=" sign to
the left of "|| New commands", a menu expands vertically downwards
and display (amongst other options) the word "Graphics".

> you did) instead of (blabla-your expectation) the following was
> shown: (blabla)

Rather than being told anything useful about Graphics (such as
the options to XeTeXpicfile) I am told instead totally unrelated
?facts? concerning Encodings and Line breaking.  This occurs on
a page that describes itself as Page 15 in the aforementioned
document.

> This happened with an uptodate TL 2011 installation.

This happened, and happens, with an up-to-date TeX Live 2011
installation.

> OS environment : ....

My O/S Environment :

> ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\ProgramData
> APPDATA=C:\Users\Chaa006\AppData\Roaming
> CLIENTNAME=RV-103
> CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Common Files
> COMPUTERNAME=RM-VM-102
> ComSpec=C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe
> FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO
> HOMEDRIVE=C:
> HOMEPATH=\Users\Chaa006
> LOCALAPPDATA=C:\Users\Chaa006\AppData\Local
> LOGONSERVER=\\RM-VM-102
> NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=1
> OS=Windows_NT
> Path=C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32
> \WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;D:\TeX\Live\2011\bin\win32
> PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC
> PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
> PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7, GenuineIntel
> PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
> PROCESSOR_REVISION=2a07
> ProgramData=C:\ProgramData
> ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files
> PROMPT=$P$G
> PSModulePath=C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\
> PUBLIC=C:\Users\Public
> SESSIONNAME=RDP-Tcp#0
> SystemDrive=C:
> SystemRoot=C:\Windows
> TEMP=C:\Users\Chaa006\AppData\Local\Temp
> TMP=C:\Users\Chaa006\AppData\Local\Temp
> USERDOMAIN=RM-VM-102
> USERNAME=Chaa006
> USERPROFILE=C:\Users\Chaa006
> windir=C:\Windows
> windows_tracing_flags=3
> windows_tracing_logfile=C:\BVTBin\Tests\installpackage\csilogfile.log

> Additional information: I like to fiddle with the registry and other
> things without actually knowing ... ----

Additional information. This is a virgin Windows 7 32-bit installation
with three levels of anti-virus protection and very few layered
products : Macromedia Dreamweaver, Adobe Acrobat Professional,
Microsoft Office 2003, Paintshop PRO, Dropbox, File Locator Light,
Picasa 3 and Seamonkey.  And now TeX Live 2011.

> Can you please ponder a second ob the above, let it sink into you,
> and try to make similar reports in future? We would all be
> inifinitely thankful, because all of us are on a voluntary basis, so
> we don't wang to waste time with exzctely these kinds of emails.

Well, I don't wang to waste your infinitely valuable time either;
in fact, I really don't want to wang at all.

** Phil.