[tex-live] TeX Live 2011 & PS_View

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Fri Mar 16 00:16:14 CET 2012

Hi Philip,

continueing my email according to "install all" ... I don't
repeat my friendly introduction, you know me anyway ;-)

On Do, 15 Mär 2012, Philip TAYLOR wrote:
> I did not give permission for the TeX Live installer to change
> my file associations; the TeX Live installer did not ask my
> permission to change my file associations.  SO WHY HAS IT
> DONE SO ?????

First of all, you have been around here for long enough, that you *should*
know what comes, or you should have written it right in the beginning:
  Which installer did you use?
So assuming that you used the wizard installer, that is the 5-click-finished
installer that is the default on WinBlows, I am surprised to see that,
the default is to change only *new* associations. So if you did NOT
have any default association, one will be created by the installer
to ps_view. But if you have already one, then it should NOT be changed.

Now that opens a few questions more:
- did you really have an association?
- which OS version?

(Tomek, Siep) Can you provide a pointer into the registry where one
can check that by hand?

If that has really changed an existing association, that this is a bug
and I am surprised that it has not been uncovered in the last 2 years,
because we didn't change that part of the code since long time.

But we will try to reproduce, and see if it actually happens.

Best wishes

Norbert