[tex-live] "Update all installed" following virgin install does nothing

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Fri Mar 16 00:09:48 CET 2012

Hi Phil,

long time no hear, I was already missing your "throwing of rotten
tomatoes at us" emails ... good to see you back!

On Do, 15 Mär 2012, Philip TAYLOR wrote:
> As TeX Live 2011 is now approaching its sell-by date,
> I have finally installed it on my new machine, using

You could have waited a bit more and tried TL2012?

> sense that nothing was updated).  May I ask whether this
> is the expected behaviour, and if so, how should I now

Yes, it is expected behaviour.

On Do, 15 Mär 2012, Philip TAYLOR wrote:
>> I've seen several times that the installer does not change the
>> repository after the installation.
>
> Yes, that would indeed appear to be the source of
> the problem.  May I propose that in TeX Live 2012,
> the default repository be set to the network following
> DVD-based installation since, by definition, one

That was discussed, and we decided to keep the default repository
as used at installation time.

> reason this is unacceptable to the developers, then
> could diagnostic code please be added to the "Update
> all installed" button to warn the user that the current
> respository is still set to the installation DVD, and

Have you read the warning that was shown both in the terminal and
in the log window of tlmgr GUI (the lower part of the GUI window?):
---------------
tlmgr: no updates available

Your installation is set up to look on the disk for updates.
To install from the Internet for this one time only, run
  tlmgr -repository http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet

To change the default for all future updates, run
  tlmgr option repository http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet
----------------

???

Furthermore, right ON THE TOPRIGHT of the tlmgr GUI window, there is
a line
	Loaded repository: .......
that *also* shows you what you are loading.

Furthermore, in the "tlmgr" menu there are entries:
	Load default repository: ...
	Load default net repository: ...

I think we give *enough* hints for those who care to *READ* and *LOOK*.

> that a manual change to select the network respository will
> be required before "Update all installed" does what it
> says on the tin ?

The button does exactely what it says, it updates all packages with respect
to the currently loaded remote repository, as indicated right on the
top of the tlmgr window.

-------------------------
<slightly unrelated rant ON>
It is funny that on the one hand you ask for full automatization, and
on the other hand complain if something is changed to your dislike
(associations etc). It seems to me that you have very specific wishes
and expect the installer/tlmgr/GUI work how you want it to work, without
considering the general audience.
<slightly unrelated rant OFF>

Let me know if you have any other problems. If you think that the warning
in the lower part of the windows is not prominent enough, we might
think about making a modal windows ....

Best wishes

Norbert