[tex-live] "Update all installed" following virgin install does nothing

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk
Thu Mar 15 11:13:44 CET 2012

As TeX Live 2011 is now approaching its sell-by date,
I have finally installed it on my new machine, using
the network-sourced ISO file as a virtual DVD.  Modulo
one small problem (it refused to install to D:\TeX\Live\2011
until I created the directory by hand), all went smoothly
and quickly, but on then launching the TeX Live Manager,
and selecting "Update all installed" to get the most recent
versions of everthing from the net, nothing happened (in the
sense that nothing was updated).  May I ask whether this
is the expected behaviour, and if so, how should I now
go about "Updat[ing] all installed" ?

Philip Taylor