[tex-live] How to use MFTOEPS? (noob)

Shriramana Sharma samjnaa at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 12:31:05 CET 2012

2012/3/14 Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com>:
> First, although I appreciate Anshu's work, I do not think that this is
> the right tool for producing fonts.

Meta*Font* is not the right tool to produce fonts?!

> It is much better to start with metapost,
> not with metafont. Since the languages are very similar, quite often
> the MF sources can be processed by metapost.

MP doesn't support penpos and such, and isn't it more oriented towards
creating general purpose graphics than fonts?

I don't have time to learn one thing and later adapt to another due to
my other academic duties, so I would like to limit my time to learning
one tool if possible.

> Tools for outline
> creation such as mftrace or textrace yield poor results.

I discarded the idea of tracing at a very early stage. If there are
tools to directly derive the pen stroke's envelope, why should I go to
tracing?

> It might be even useful to try metatype1.

Right now I'm googling on metatype1 vs mf2pt1 (which the LilyPond
author suggested). Will get back on this.

> The DOS batch files cannot be used directly in Linux. The language is
> very simple so that writing a bash script or a makefile is usually
> easy.

OK will see if I can hack it myself...

--
Shriramana Sharma