[tex-live] How to use MFTOEPS? (noob)

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 12:12:36 CET 2012

2012/3/14 Shriramana Sharma <samjnaa at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 1:47 AM, Dan Luecking <luecking at uark.edu> wrote:
>> You can get the whole thing by downloading
>>  mirror.ctan.org/graphics/MF-PS.zip
>
> Hey thanks. I had already stumbled on this, but there is only a DOS
> batch file (http://ctan.imsc.res.in/graphics/MF-PS/progs/m2e.bat) and
> I am not sure how to adapt it to Linux so I was wondering if there is
> a Linux port already? The author himself notes
> (http://www.tug.org/TUGboat/tb16-4/tb49jack.pdf p 4):

First, although I appreciate Anshu's work, I do not think that this is
the right tool for producing fonts. Both for Type1 and OpenType you
need outlines, not strokes. It is much better to start with metapost,
not with metafont. Since the languages are very similar, quite often
the MF sources can be processed by metapost. Tools for outline
creation such as mftrace or textrace yield poor results. It might be
even useful to try metatype1.

The DOS batch files cannot be used directly in Linux. The language is
very simple so that writing a bash script or a makefile is usually
easy.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/