[tex-live] Fwd: Re: Error TL12 kpsewhich in ifxetex

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Jun 26 00:19:05 CEST 2012

On 2012-06-26 at 01:47:00 +0930, Will Robertson wrote:

 > \documentclass{article}
 > \makeatletter
 > \@@input"|kpsewhich -var-value=max_print_line"\relax
 > \makeatother
 > \begin{document}
 > \end{document}

  \input"|kpsewhich -var-value=max_print_line"\relax

because the pipe returns text which is typeset and thus should be
inside the document "environment".  ;)
The smallest file which shows the error is

  \input"|kpsewhich -var-value=max_print_line"\relax\bye

and can be run with etex instead of pdftex in order to keep
KPATHSEA_DEBUG output smaller (no fonts in DVI files).

 > I'm using some pre-release version of MacTeX 2012, and my console
 > output is:
 > This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.4-1.40.13 (TeX Live 2012)

It works in TL 2007...2011 but not in TL 2012.  I fear it's broken
now.  Tested on x86_64-linux.

BTW, TL 2007...2009 required --shell-escape but newer versions don't.
Just if anybody is wondering, it's because as of TL-2010 kpsewhich is
listed as a trusted command in texmf.cnf:

  kpsewhich --var-value=shell_escape_commands

It seems that (according to KPATHSEA_DEBUG) pdfTeX maintains pipes by
itself.  The last thing kpathsea does before the crash is to check the
value of openin_any:

  kdebug:hash_lookup(openin_any.etex) => (nil)
  kdebug:hash_lookup(openin_any) => a
  kdebug:variable: openin_any = a

  ! I can't find file `"|kpsewhich -var-value=max_print_line"'.
I first considered that Kpathsea could be involved too, but it doesn't
search for a file with this name, hence the error message must come
from pdfTeX itself.

I've sent a message to the pdfTeX mailing list.  Let's see...

What confuses me a bit is that KPATHSEA_DEBUG mentions the evaluation
of openin_any but it doesn't mention shell_escape_commands at all,
even in TL-2011, where this variable is obviously evaluated.

Zdeněk, input pipes were introduced in January 2007 (pdfTeX 1.40.0).

Curiously enough, it seems that this useful feature has never been
mentioned in the pdfTeX manual.

Marschnerstr. 25