[tex-live] changed hyphenation after update to texlive 2012

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk
Sun Jul 15 10:22:54 CEST 2012

Dear Norbert. copy all --

Norbert Preining wrote:

> Dear Phil,

>> %(a) the filename (the portion before the extension, if any)
>> %    must not match any of :
>> %
>> %        UKHYPH                  UK-HYPH
>> %        UKHYPHEN                UK-HYPHEN
>> %        UKHYPHENS               UK-HYPHENS
>> %        UKHYPHENATION           UK-HYPHENATION
>> %        UKHYPHENISATION         UK-HYPHENISATION
>> %        UKHYPHENIZATION         UK-HYPHENIZATION
>> %
>> %   regardless of case, and
>
> Exactely that, don't you think it is *ridiculuous*?

Ridiculous ?  No.  Overkill, perhaps.  If I were to produce such a file
today, I very much doubt whether  I would list such an exhaustive set
of proscribed filenames.  But the intentions were good : to seek
to prevent anyone modifying the patterns from re-distributing them with
a name that could lead others to believe that these were the official
(and immutable) British English patterns.  You and Mojca have argued
that in these days of packaged distributions, the file name no longer
matters : I don't entirely agree, but I understand the logic of the
assertion.  But these patterns pre-date such canned distributions by
many many years : they were created at a time when CTAN did not exist
and the UK TeX Archive [1] was /the/ repository for TeX and TeX-related
material.  And at that time, the file name /did/ matter, very much.

** Phil.