[tex-live] Problem with upgrade

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Jul 11 00:37:44 CEST 2012

Hi Christine,

On Di, 10 Jul 2012, Christine_Roemer wrote:
> I have a problem with upgrade from TeX Live 2011 to 2012:
> http://www.tug.org/texlive/upgrade.html
>
> With respect to the step 9 I have the
> following problem:

... did you read:
	If you don't understand this, stop here and do a regular installation.

> You don't have permission to change the installation in any way,
> specifically, the directory /usr/local/texlive/2012/tlpkg/ is not writable.
> Please run this program as administrator, or contact your local admin.

That is a message from tlmgr. Did *you* install TeX Live? Or
someone else for you.

> chmod u+rwx /usr/local/texlive/2012/tlpkg/
> It was no improvement.

That is exactely the reason why we say the above. Do you know the meaning
of u+rwx???

You have to make sure that the user owning the files is you, and that
you have write access.

Best wishes

Norbert