[tex-live] web2c / MF in C

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Jul 2 01:07:36 CEST 2012

    > I want to read the MetaFont program in C (primarily to figure out
    > Hobby's algorithm used in the make_choices section).

- Surely it is more comprehensible to read the result of typesetting
mf.web (e.g., Volume D) than generated C code.  The differences between
C and Pascal are miniscule by comparison.

- Taco Hoekwater rewrote MetaPost in CWEB, and I expect it has the
same or substantially similar make_choices, though I didn't check for
sure.  That's in the file Build/source/texk/web2c/mplibdir/mp.w in the
TL sources (or you can get it from the MetaPost sources on CTAN, or
upstream, or wherever).

Good luck,
Karl