[tex-live] Installation problem? checksum mismatch: siunitx

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 15:52:28 CET 2012

Hello,
** Ulrike Fischer [2012-01-31 15:23:24 +0100]:

> Am Tue, 31 Jan 2012 16:08:48 +0200 schrieb Khaled Hosny:

>>> No. I get a "checksum mismatch in font pplr7t.vf ignored" message
>>> also with this example (compiled with lualatex):

>>> It disappears if luaotfload removed. So it looks as if luaofload is
>>> somehow changing the vf.

>> I've seen such warnings in the past, but since I've absolutely no idea
>> what vf or tfm checksums are for, I just ignored it, seems harmless. Any
>> idea what a problem this checksum mismatch would be causing?

> The faq contains some informations about checksums:
> http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=checksum. Mainly it
> should assure that tfm + pk and tfm + vf have the same version.

> Assuming that the luaotfload code (probably the one added to the
> find_vf callback) is ok and doesn't break the vf I would say the
> main problem is that if with luaotfload you get a lot of harmless
> checksum-mismatches you will no longer be able to see the harmful
> one (when tfm/vf really differ).  I don't think that is an important
> problem as tfm/vf are not much used with luatex.

> Does one get the same message with context or is the problem solved
> there?

A little investigation: context from TeX Live 2011 and context from
context suite (http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Standalone)
test file
<example file="ex8.tex">
\starttext

\font\test=txr \test abs

\stoptext
</example>
for both
<terminal>
$ grep 'checksum' ex8.log
checksum mismatch in font txr.vf ignored
</terminal>

If log files with terminal output are interested I can attach them.

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
Today is the first day of the rest of the mess.