[tex-live] [i18n-no] Fwd: [Scribus 0005322]: Hyphenation patterns distributed without license and copyright information

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Tue Jan 31 00:11:07 CET 2012

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> However, it is quite possible that the author agreed to relicence
> patterns for OpenOffice. At least that is what happened for Slovenian
> patterns. I don't know if there are any less strict Norwegians out
> there, but in my case I wasn't even allowed to be mentioned in the
> OpenOffice hyphenation patterns (not only as author which I'm not, but
> not even given the tiniest credit when I helped getting rid of the
> bug) without signing some legal papers first.
>
> I would only like to make you aware of some tiny detail. Hyphenation
> patterns from TeX may not work 100% correct in OpenOffice. (Patterns
> from OpenOffice always work in TeX, but the reverse may not be true.)
> One needs to run a special script from OOo (substrings.pl) that
> "compresses" patterns in some way to make sure that all hyphenation
> points remain interpreted correctly.
>
> See
>      http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/SL/Using_TeX_hyphenation_patterns_in_OpenOffice.org

Licence issues leave me cold (except I wonder how many man-years
of potentially productive time have been wasted worrying about
such things), but I am intrigued by the following from the URL
you cite :

> Recent Hyphen version of OpenOffice.org 3 has a problem with UTF-8 encoded hyphenation patterns: it misses the first hyphenation break point in special circumstances (in LEFTHYPHENMIN positions before letters with diacritics, eg. "zaživeti" where the "zaži" does not get split). Consider the conversion of your UTF-8 encoded TeX patterns to ISO-8859-X code-pages (or KOI8-R).
>
> Example: Slovenian language uses ISO-8859-2 code-page, so one would open the UTF-8 file in a code-page savvy text editor, then convert and save it as an ISO-8859-2 coded text.

Why might "Recent Hyphen version of OpenOffice.org 3 has a problem with UTF-8 encoded hyphenation patterns"
Are Open Office moving /away/ from Unicode ?

Philip Taylor