[tex-live] Installing latest TeX Live on Ubuntu

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 16:22:44 CET 2012

2012/2/26 Nickolai Leschov <nleschov at gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> I have trouble installing latest TeX Live on Ubuntu. I need the latest
> version of TeX Live, so I install with the install-tl installer, not
> from repositories.
>
> I try to follow the instructions "TeX Live and Debian/Ubuntu"
> (http://www.tug.org/texlive/debian.html), section "Integrating vanilla
> TeX Live with Debian". First, how do I install "as root, system-wide"?
> I do "sudo ./install-tl" Is this right? Then, how do I "ensure that
> the only Debian TeX Live packages installed are tex-common, texinfo,
> and perhaps lmodern"?

First, I never install TeX Live as root, you may have problems later
when updating (sudo may not find the right PATH for tlmgr unless you
configure TL even for use by root). Instead (as root) I create
/usr/local/texlive and change the owner so that a normal user, who is
supposed to take care of the TL installation, is the owner with write
permission. After installation you have to set PATH properly. The TL
path must be at the beginning. There are several places where it can
be set, e.g. /etc/environment, /etc/bashrc, or user's ~/.bashrc or
~/.bash_profile. For system-wide settings /etc/environment is probably
the best choice.

> Unfortunately, after following the instructions the latex command
> cannot be found after reboot. How do I add latex to the path
> permanently?
>
> I tried to reinstall in wizard mode with "./install-tl -gui wizard"
> but it says "(default not allowed or not writable - please change!)"
> about the installation directory. Is this because the "sudo" I added?
> How do I fix it?

sudo may have problems with PATH

--
Zdeněk Wagner