[tex-live] [FEATURE REQUEST] support for additional user texmf trees

T T t34www at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 23 10:23:52 CET 2012

On 23 February 2012 07:58, Vladimir Lomov <lomov.vl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> ** T T [2012-02-22 15:27:32 +0000]:
>
>> On 22 February 2012 15:15, Vladimir Lomov <lomov.vl at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Ah, 'root' -> $TL/texmf.cnf. Fine, if it is owned by root could ordinal
>>> user editt it to add additional texmf trees?
>
>> No, but you can set them through environment, i.e., environment
>> variables take precedence over texmf.cnf variables.
>
> Ah, yes. I already tried this solution as well. IMHO, too tedious
>
> 1. one have to define TEXMFCNF env variable and keep it up-to-date;
>
> 2. (more painful, imho!) one have to list all texmf.cnf files in
> variable. I tried the following: "export
> TEXMFCNF=$HOME:$TL:$TL/texmf/web2c" and this works fine with TeX Live
> 2011.

I think this solves both of your problems (you can of course go
fancier than this, depending on your particular needs):

export TEXMFCNF=$HOME:$(kpsewhich -var-value TEXMFCNF)

> (Here TL=/usr/local/opt/texlive/2011, seems I mistyped eariler.)
>
> IMHO my proposal is "evil" too, e.g. from Tex Live documentation:
>
>> The search path used to look for these files is named TEXMFCNF, but we
>> do not recommend setting this (or any) environment variable.
>
> I understand this in following way:
>
>> Don't set any these variables, because if you do and face with a problem
>> then problem may be related with your setup and all these variables.

Indeed, but ...

> Now I propose to make live easy for (relative small number of) advanced
> users, by adding additional path where to search texmf.cnf file. If
> something goes wrong in user system, then file $HOME/texmf.cnf must be
> taking into accout too.

I think that advanced users should be advanced enough to handle
problems related to environment settings.

Cheers,

Tomek