[tex-live] Installation problem? checksum mismatch: siunitx

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Wed Feb 1 16:57:20 CET 2012

Am Wed, 1 Feb 2012 17:35:09 +0200 schrieb Khaled Hosny:

>>> Does \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc} work with LuaTeX?

>> No, you shouldn't use it with luatex (normally it doesn't will give
>> errors but it is useless and can led to unwanted side effects.)

> I think it would be useful (in combination with fontenc) if you want to
> use some 8-bit fonts with with non-standard font encoding (i.e.
> non-Unicode font encoding, almost any non-ASCII TeX font).

No it will fail. You even get quite a lot errors (it is long ago
that I actually tried so I had forgetten this).

The utf8-code of inputenc is 8-bit orientated: it makes the first
8bit piece of a multibyte char active and defines it so that is
grabs the next 8bit-pieces as arguments.

In luatex the notion of e.g. the first 8bit piece of an utf8-char
makes no sense, a input char can not be splitted in parts. And so
the inputenc code is really completly useless.

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\begin{document}