[tex-live] missing format files in texlive 2007

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Mon Dec 24 05:08:07 CET 2012

On So, 23 Dez 2012, Winston Smith wrote:
> 10texlive-base.cnf.dpkg-new

Ayayaya,

> WHY is there a .dpkg-new file, but NOT the original config file?

Probably you interrupted the installation ... or another option
is that you have deleted the original .cnf by hand and that is honored
by dpkg

> ++++ CURSES ON DPKG!!! ++++

No. I am *really* sure that the original reason is something you did ;-)
But that is hard to recreate now.

> Seems like /etc/texmf/fmt.d/10texlive-base.cnf belongs to multiple packages,

No. It belongs to one and only, to package texlive-base.

> and dkpg refused to override one with the other, but somehow the original
> file got LOST??? Why did dkpg NOT TELL ME THIS???

None of that happened.

What is the status of texlive-base?
	dpkg --status texlive-base

DOes it mention:

Package: texlive-base
Conffiles:
 /etc/texmf/fmt.d/10texlive-base.cnf ....

???

> I blame dpkg for not telling me the mess with the config files.

dpkg honors what the admin has done to the config files ... that
is the basic philosophy of Debian. If the admin messes around
with config files, dpkg honors that, because the admin knows better.
(or should!)

Norbert