[tex-live] missing format files in texlive 2007

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Dec 23 01:58:40 CET 2012

On 2012-12-23 at 09:19:48 +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:

 > Hi Zdenek,
 >
 > On Sa, 22 Dez 2012, Zdenek Wagner wrote:
 > > 1. This is not Ubuntu list, I do not know how Ubuntu packages TeX Live
 > > and what is supported.
 >
 > Debian packages they use, nothign else, so what I provided.
 >
 > > 2. I have TeX Live from TUG since 2007 and searching the directories
 > > it seems that etex is available since 2008. I do not know whether
 > > Ubuntu added etex support to the 2007 version.
 >
 > Huu? are you sure? 2007 was the first with the new infra structure,

Well, the new infra structure came into play in 2008.

 > and there I see
 > 	   A /trunk/Master/tlpkg/tlpsrc/etex.tlpsrc
 > But maybe the etex *format* was not used at that time.

In TL 2007 pdftex already had etex built-in and etex was a symlink to
pdftex.  This is exactly what we have today.

However, it seems that mktexfmt is a helper script which shouldn't be
used directly.  There is no -sys version of this file.

In order to create format files, one has to use fmtutil[-sys].
A simpler solution is to use texconfig.

  texconfig init [<format>]

creates format <format>.  If no format is specified, it creates all
format files defined in fmtutil.cnf.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25