[tex-live] Every fourth or five ftp attempt in tlmgr ... fails

Bernhard Kleine bernhard.kleine at gmx.net
Mon Dec 17 19:18:22 CET 2012

Dear all,

while updating using tlmgr --gui this morning I noticed again that every
fourth or fifth package is not obtained by ftp but by wget. That does
not directly pose a problem. However, the time spent by tlmgr for
finding out that ftp does not work and wget has to be used is more than
40 seconds. Thus the update takes much longer than necessary.

See below the error. I hope that I am not the only one where this
occurs. System is Ubuntu 12.04 on amd_x64 Linux.

Kind regards

Bernhard

Useless content call in void context
at /usr/share/perl5/LWP/Protocol/ftp.pm line 379
TLDownload::get_file: response error:
  400 FTP return code 000
permanent server connection set up, but downloading did not succeed!
Retrying with wget.