[tex-live] tlmgr update --self --all crash

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Mon Dec 3 00:31:54 CET 2012

Hi Bob,

On Fr, 30 Nov 2012, Bob Tennent wrote:
> This has now happened twice, during the final stages of an update. The
> first time (yesterday), a Windows guest was running on the machine
> and I made the obvious assumption. Problems were reported by tlmgr
> check all, so I re-installed texlive. Today (the next day) there was
> a similar crash. Nothing in the system log. kpathsea warned about No
> usable entries in ls-R files, so I texhashed. But tlmgr check all still
> reports problems:

Your computer seems to be quite broken.

>  Files present but not covered (relative to /usr/local/texlive/2012):
>   texmf-dist/lsR23898.tmp/lsR23898.tmp

left over from a terminated mktexlsr run.

>   texmfcnf.lua

Proper.

>   Running check runfiles:
>   # afoot.sty
>   diff /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/tex/latex/arabtex/afoot.sty /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/tex/latex/ledmac/afoot.sty
>   # c-cap.dat
>   diff /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/tex/generic/pst-geo/data/c-cap.dat /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/tex/generic/pst-geo/dataII/c-cap.dat
>   # citycapitals.dat
>   diff /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/tex/generic/pst-geo/data/citycapitals.dat /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/tex/generic/pst-geo/dataII/citycapitals.dat

Well, something *is* seriously broken on your computer.

> What should I do now? It seems re-installing won't solve the problem.
> Running Centos 6.3. The system hasn't previously been unstable. A
> similar system at home (same hardware and mostly same software) hasn't
> been problematic.

broken hard disk?
running fsck?

showing *how* tlmgr update --self broke?
running the update with -v -v and send the result?

Best wishes

Norbert
DROITWICH (n.)
A street dance. The two partners approach from opposite directions and
try politely to get out of each other's way. They step to the left,
step to the right, apologise, step to the left again, apologise again,
bump into each other and repeat as often as unnecessary.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff