[tex-live] tlmgr "Update all installed" via commandline?

Bob Plantz plantz at cds1.net
Tue Aug 28 18:55:21 CEST 2012

On 8/28/2012 8:28 AM, Philip TAYLOR wrote:

> Lars Madsen wrote:
>
>> There is quite a big difference in executing the command via the Windows
>>   'Run command' option and actually executing it within the windows
>> command prompt.
>
> > You have the same problem with 'texdoc -l'
>
> I agree.  But the naive user (and even the no-so-naive) user
> cannot be expected to know, a priori, that he or she needs
> to launch a separate CMD session before being able to use
> either of those commands successfully.

Perhaps a note in the documentation would help. For example, at
http://tug.org/texlive/doc/tlmgr.html#examples something like, "Note:
tlmgr must be run from the command line; use Command Prompt in Windows."

I note here that, at least in my experience including myself, a naive
user is more apt to read the documentation than a not-to-naive user. ;-)

--Bob