[tex-live] Unattended TL install

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Aug 25 01:50:48 CEST 2012

    There is a very strange 'fix'
    if one add
    use Data::Dumper;
    just before
    use utf8;

Yes, that certainly is a strange fix.  It would be nice to have a
glimmer of understanding and not just paper over the problem.  For all
we know, that might help on your machines, but cause new mysterious
failures on others.

First, it's not clear to me why the
use utf8;
no utf8;
idiom is in trans.pl in the first place.  (The script source itself does
not need non-ASCII UTF-8 that I can see, which is
http://perldoc.perl.org/utf8.html seems to be saying it's for.)

Can you try commenting those two lines out and see if it makes a
difference?

Second, looking at Dumper.pm, it's doing
use 5.006_001;
require Exporter;
require overload;

Can you try adding those lines to trans.pl (one at a time) and see if
they make a difference?  To try to narrow down what is actually needed
from Dumper.  (I can't imagine why they would, but this whole problem
and the fix is unimaginable too ...)