[tex-live] xindy doesn't work on windows

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Fri Aug 24 10:43:03 CEST 2012

Am Fri, 24 Aug 2012 00:16:35 +0200 schrieb Reinhard Kotucha:

>  > But this doesn't help with the problem that xindy fails with the
>  > default setting of TEMP in the windows system control: I didn't add
>  > any explicit quotes there. The variable is set as
>  > "%USERPROFILE%\Lokale Einstellungen\Temp" (without the quotes) in
>  > system control and imho that is the default set by the windows
>  > installation.

> Regardless of how the variable is set, I assume that what Perl sees is
> what you see if you type
>
>   echo %TEMP%
>
> .  Does the output look reasonable?

Yes the echo shows the short path version without quotes.

>  > This would affect only windows users where "Short File Name
>  > Generation" is enabled.

> Is this configurable?  If yes, where?

As far as know only when a user account is generated, so the
decision was made some years ago (and not by me).

>  > I have now added a Variable TMPDIR to my system. Perhaps TeXLife
>  > should add such a setting e.g. to tl-cmd.bat.

> I fear that setting Unix variables in order to fix Windows problems
> isn't the right approach.  I'm sure that Phil agrees with me...  ;)

Well any variable would do it, XINDYTEMP or XINDYTMP or whatever. I
suggested TMPDIR as it is normally not set in windows and so adding
it locally to command prompt window would probably not do much harm.

> Did you encounter the problem only with Xindy?  getnonfreefonts
> determines temporary directories simarly.

The problem  is not how the temp directory is determines but that -
as Akira has confirmed - the default directory has a short path
name.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/