[tex-live] xindy doesn't work on windows

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Aug 23 21:02:10 CEST 2012

On 2012-08-23 at 05:44:38 +0100, Philip TAYLOR wrote:

 > Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
 >  >   > OK, thanks Reinhard, but still somewhat confused in that this
 >  >   > is (as far as I can tell) the first time that Cygwin has come
 >  >   > into this thread ...  Where/how is Cygwin involved ?
 >  >
 >  > It's one of the platforms supported by TeX Live.
 >
 > Of which there are many.  But each may have a different rule when
 > it comes to specifying how the preferred location for temporary
 > files is to be indicated through the medium of environment
 > variables,

Well, actually TeX Live currently supports only Unix and Windows.
So it can be assumed that all systems except Windows obey TMPDIR.

 > so whilst it makes perfect sense for the Cygwin port
 > to use Cygwin conventions, surely the Windows port should use
 > Windows conventions, should it not ?

It does.  Non-existent env vars are skipped.  Hence, what xindy does
works very well on all platforms.  I can't imagine any situation where
TMPDIR hurts on Windows.  If it exists, it's been set deliberately and
we can assume that the user wants it to be obeyed.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25