[tex-live] xindy doesn't work on windows

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Wed Aug 22 11:35:25 CEST 2012

Am Wed, 22 Aug 2012 08:37:43 +0900 schrieb Akira Kakuto:

> Dear Ulrike,
>
>> TEMP=J:¥temp works fine, while TEMP="J:¥temp temp" fails with the
>> same error. (Actually with *exactly* the same error: The error
>> message again refers to "C:¥¥DOKUME‾1¥¥User¥¥LOKALE‾1¥¥Temp¥¥").
>>
>> So it is (not unsurprisingly) the space. But why I'm the only one
>> affected with the problem? I can't be the only windows user with a
>> TEMP pointing to %Userprofile ;-(.
>
> Sorry, the problem will be solved in the next update.
> If you are in a hurry, please apply the following patch:

Well I'm not in a hurry (and if I were I could simply change TEMP)
but I'm curious so I change xindy.pl but the error message is
unchanged.

I run some tests with -d script. If TEMP is J:\temp then the
compilation starts like this:

I:\Z-Test>set TEMP=J:\temp

I:\Z-Test>xindy -d script -M texindy -L german-duden orte.idx
concatenated xindy input file: J:\temp\ZImrBujKoR

And all messages refers to the TEMP folder.

But if TEMP contains a space xindy goes "back" to the userprofile:

I:\Z-Test>set TEMP="J:\temp temp"

I:\Z-Test>xindy -d script -M texindy -L german-duden orte.idx
concatenated xindy input file:
C:\DOKUME~1\User\LOKALE~1\Temp\TGp0UhUthu

(I made sure that the modified xindy.pl is used by inserting a
message. And my real user name doesn't contain spaces or something
fishy.)

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/